Reporting directly to the Managing Director, English Language Teaching, this is a crucial appointment to the Senior Management Team and influential in the success of the division. The role is part of the Divisional Senior Leadership team with responsibility for setting and implementing divisional strategy.
The role will be responsible for developing, agreeing and implementing the business strategy for OUP España, aligned with the ELT divisional strategy. There is a need to influence and engage stakeholders across OUP (both the wider ELT division and Group Functions) to ensure services deliver to the local market needs. A key focus of the role is to engage and motivate a highly capable and credible team, enabling them to perform to their potential and creating the environment to facilitate this. Networking across the sector, the Managing Director will be instrumental in scanning the market, identifying opportunities, managing risks and ensuring the highest standards of ethical conduct.
- Monitor market circumstances and assess risks and opportunities for OUPE to evolve strategy and ensure that it is consistent with both the divisional and Group strategy.
- Develop and maintain strategic and five–year plans and ensure delivery of financial targets for revenue and growth.
- Oversee the development of effective sales strategies to maximise turnover. Identify new market segments where there is demand for OUP products and services.
- Ensure effective marketing of OUP products and services.
- Set a positive tone from the top to ensure that there is full awareness of, and compliance withOUP’s anti-bribery and fraud and other ethical policies and procedures. Ensure that OUPE complies fully with OUP’s central governance and relevant external standards regarding financial and legal matters, including health and safety.
- Empower and engage the OUPE team, ensuring the teams are equipped to do their role and motivated to do so. Use employee engagement data and continually review progress and demonstrate improvements. Ensure that there is a positive working environment.
- Ensure that the public image of OUP in the market is consistent with furthering the global mission and objectives by maintaining adherence to the highest standards in publishing service and professional business behaviour. Develop and maintain good working relationships with key external parties such as Ministries of Education and industry representative bodies.
- Establish and maintain effective and efficient channels of distribution for OUP products and services.
The team is based across Spain with the majority of the 270 colleagues located in Madrid. The role is based in Madrid and will involve some international travel.
We are seeking a leader who can demonstrate the ability to engage and motivate their teams and influence across the country and wider organisation. Above all, they will have the ability communicate with, and inspire OUPE to be innovative, open to change, while retaining the delivery focussed mind-set.
- Highly experienced senior manager, used to operating at divisional board level
- Leadership across Sales and Marketing functions with experience in the educational publishing/ media sector and / or distribution
- Ability to influence senior stakeholders across a matrixed organisation.
- A highly trusted advisor who is commercially astute and has a proven track record of driving strategic planning and business development initiatives.
- A people focused leader, able to set direction an empower teams to succeed.
- Fluent Spanish and English speaker
We are committed to supporting diversity in our workforce, and ensuring an inclusive environment where all individuals can thrive. We seek to employ a workforce representative of the markets that we serve and encourage applications from all.Managing Director, Spain
Closing date: 25 october 2020